Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Homily for Ash Wednesday (February 13, 2013)


May Jesus Christ be praised and may his holy Mother pray for us.

The Holy Father will change during this Lenten season -- but will I?  Will you?  The Gospel will not change.  The faith once delivered unto the saints will not change.  The confession of the faith of Peter and the office of Peter will not change.  The man who holds this office, however, will change during this particular season of Lent.  But, dear brothers and sisters, will I change, will you change, during this particular Lenten season?

This Lent, when I encounter Christ hungry in the desert from his days of fasting, will I eat only what I need, and some days a little less, so that I will hunger more for the bread of life and for every word that comes from the mouth of God?

This Lent, when I read and speak of Christ praying in the garden of Gethsemane, will I embrace that one important thing, and rather than being busy about many things, will I be at the feet of the Savior?

This Lent, when I am confronted with the abundant generosity of Christ, particularly as he bestows his mercy without measure and freely offers his precious life to redeem and sanctify my life, will I respond with generosity in almsgiving to the poor and compassion to the suffering?

Will I be changed?  Will you?  Will I let God be God and Christ be Lord, just a little more this Lenten season?  Will I offer to God completely the territory of my body and soul that He conquered by the blood of His cross and claimed for himself in the waters of my baptism?

Will I be changed?  Will you?  We come today to be marked with ashes as a sign of repentance.  We come to be marked as a people who seek to be changed.  By God’s grace, and my cooperation with that grace, I will be changed this Lenten season.  By God’s grace, and your cooperation with that grace, so will you.  From sinner to saint, and from glory to glory, we will be changed by the unchanging love of Christ.  Amen.

Preached at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, Monroe, NC