Friday, June 20, 2014

Our Lady of Guadalupe and the New Evangelization (June 20, 2014)

May Jesus Christ be praised and may his holy Mother pray for us.

I saw her, and I wept.  In the summer of 2006, I was sent, courtesy of the Diocese of Charlotte, to the city of Guanajuato in Mexico to study Spanish.  While I was there I made a pilgrimage to Mexico City and to the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe.  And there I saw her, and I wept.  I wept because as I gazed upon her miraculous image, I knew that the mother of my Lord had come to me.  Her image was not a painting.  The ground on which I stood was not selected by the diocesan properties commission.  This holy ground had been chosen by the Lord God Almighty and revealed through his Ever Virgin All Holy Mother.  She had claimed it.  The footsteps of St. Juan Diego had walked where I now walked.  Millions upon millions of pilgrims, popes and prelates, priests and peasants, peoples of all nations had come here to see Her.  And when I saw her, I wept.  Far from home, I found my mother. Perhaps it is better to say that she found me, a pilgrim not only to the Shrine at Guadalupe, but on my way to a Cathedral floor, to the imposition of apostolic hands, to the Calvary that is the Altar, and to that holy pasture of the flock of God.  I had this sense on that day that I stood in the presence of her miraculous image, that she had called me by name.  With the tenderness that only a mother’s voice can summon, my soul heard her summons to me.

Our Lady called St. Juan Diego by name.  In the midst of an ordinary day, as he walked to Divine Worship and sought to know the one who has loved him from all eternity, Mary called him by name.  She made a request and she gave him a message.  On this ground, which had been stained for centuries with the blood of human sacrifice, Our Lady wanted a chapel.  She wanted a church.  She wanted a temple that would be the foundation of the new city where the praises of the Father and the sacrifice of the Son would be celebrated in the power of the Holy Spirit.  Our Lady was claiming the land, and in Juan Diego, she was claiming the people for her Son.

I have been asked to speak today about Our Lady of Guadalupe and the New Evangelization.  Let us be clear, dear brothers and sisters, there can be no new evangelization of the world without radical and intentional discipleship.  We must first respond to the call of the Lord, to the call of Our Lady, and to the call of our Holy Mother the Church to allow the grace of God to conform us to the image of Christ the Savior.  Juan Diego only becomes a messenger of the Most High, because he was first a disciple of the Lord.  He can bring the message of Our Lady only because he has listened to her.  He can bring the message only because he is first convinced that She has given him the message.  St. Juan Diego never proclaims himself.  The message the he brings is not his own.  He hands on to others, in clarity and charity, the message that he has received.  St. Juan Diego is a witness to the facts, but also a revealer of the truth.  He is the recipient of divine grace and heavenly favor.  He is able to respond to Our Lady in obedience because humility reigns in his soul.  These are the conditions of discipleship: obedience and humility.  St. Juan Diego is ever obedient and ever humble.  He had gazed upon the face of the Mother of God, yet he always showed respect and reverence to the Church and her bishop.  St. Juan Diego reminds us how we are to be disciples before we can witness to the message of salvation. Our Lady is the perfect disciple.  She heard the word of God and kept it.  At Guadalupe, Our Lady shows us how we are to be evangelizers as well.

First, at Guadalupe, Our Lady shows us that a culture is more than just a language.  In her miraculous image, she takes unto herself the elements and customs of the culture that is to be evangelized, purified by the light of the Gospel, so that her Son can be better proclaimed and better received.  She does not simply speak to Juan Diego in his native language.  She is revealed to him as a sister, a mother.  She is not an outsider.  She has entered into the culture.

My parish is a least eighty percent Hispanic.  However, most of the children in my parish have only a basic knowledge of Spanish.  Most of them were born here.  Nearly all of them have been educated here.  They are culturally Hispanic, more accurately, they are culturally Mexican, but their primary language is English.  I was asked by the Hispanic parents shortly after I arrived in the parish to preach in English, as well as Spanish, at the Spanish Masses.  What was the reason for this?  The parents told me that they wanted their children to understand the homily.  The culture is more than a language.  Even as the language changes, the customs and the faith and the piety of the culture endure.  Our Lady teaches us at Guadalupe that a culture is more than the language.  In order to evangelize, we must engage, but not necessarily embrace the culture.

In Our Lady of Guadalupe, the people recognize their mother.  She speaks the truth.  She reveals the will of God.  There is no lack of clarity in the message that Our Lady gives to Juan Diego.  She always speaks with a mother’s voice.  She approaches with love and tenderness.  At Guadalupe, Our Lady is taking possession of a mountain that had been the place of human sacrifice. With love and tenderness, she is overcoming evil and hatred.  At Guadalupe, we see evangelization as a work of gentleness.  It is the tender voice of the mother that conquers the evil in men’s hearts.  Never shying away from the truth, and never being afraid to be bold in our proclamation, even so, Our Lady at Guadalupe teaches us to evangelize with the gentle voice of a loving mother.

In the miraculous image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Our Lady is not the center.  Her eyes are cast in reverence of the Lord who is within her.  The black sash and the four-petal flower demonstrate that she is pregnant.  The appearance at Guadalupe is the Visitation of the Lord.  She draws us to herself, so that she can bring us to Him.  Juan Diego is not the story of Guadalupe.  Our Lady is not really the story of Guadalupe.  This is the story of Jesus Christ.  He is the focus.  He is the one in whom we gaze upon the face of the invisible God.  He is the one we preach.  He is the one to whom we are united in Baptism and in all of the Sacraments.  He is the one who leads us to the house of the Father.  It is Christ the Lord whom we proclaim.  Our Lady brings us to him.  The Loving Mother makes us a gift to her Son, and she makes her Son a gift to us.  Mary does not keep us for herself.  She gives us to the Lord Jesus, and then she gives us to his people.

As Our Lady draws us to the encounter with her Son, she sends us out to reveal his love.  Mary pushes us along the missionary road.  Sometimes the mother walks ahead of her child, sometimes a protective step behind.  When I was selecting the vestments for my First Mass some two and a half years after my visit to Guadalupe, I had three requirements.  First, the vestment needed to be white, because my first Mass was celebrated on Trinity Sunday.  Second, some of the decoration needed to be blue, as a sign of devotion to Our Lady, but also as a prayer that she would protect my priesthood.  And third, I wanted an image of Our Lady on the back of the vestment.  When I placed the order with a vestment company in Mexico, the picture in their catalog was the image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, my favorite image of Our Lady. I realized a few days later that I had only requested an image of Our Lady, not a particular one.  I prayed to Our Lady and said, “You pick the image.”  Some weeks later, my vestment arrived.  It was not what I expected.  I’ll admit I was a little disappointed at first.  I really love the image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, but it is the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe that adorns my vestment.  I knew that she had made her choice for a reason.  I immediately treasured the image and the vestment.  It is my wedding garment.  It is my vesture for the feast of heaven.  With her image behind me, Our Lady of Guadalupe pushes me on every step along the apostolic road, whether to Galilee, to Calvary, and even unto Emmaus.  Our Lady sends us out with the message of her Son.

Our Lady of Guadalupe calls us by name.  She teaches us that a culture is more than a language.  She speaks to us with the gentle voice of a mother.  She draws us to herself so that she can give us to her Son.  And she pushes us along the road of evangelization.  She has given us her miraculous image to inspire us and to lead us.  I knew that she had chosen the image for my First Mass vestment, but only a few years later would I know why.  As I said, the parish where I am blessed and privileged to be the pastor is about eighty percent Hispanic.  Upon my arrival at the parish almost two years ago, one of the dear Hispanic ladies helped me to unpack some of my vestments in the sacristy.  The white vestment, with the blue banding and the miraculous image came out of the box.  The dear lady looked at the vestment, and with a tear in her eye said, “You have come here to be our Father.”  And together, we looked upon Our Lady, and we wept.  Amen.     

Presented after a screening of “The Blood and the Rose” at the Catholic Media Conference, Charlotte, NC