Sunday, April 22, 2018

Homily for April 22, 2018 (4th Sunday of Easter B)


In my parents’ house there is a picture hanging on the wall between the laundry room and the kitchen. This picture used to hang on the wall between a bedroom and the living room in my grandparents’ house. I don’t know if the picture belonged to my great grandparents. I know we have had this picture in the family for a long time. The image is clear. The image is powerful and comforting. The image is gentle and peaceful and enduring. The picture in my parents’ house is an image of Jesus the Good Shepherd.


The Good Shepherd is really one of the most popular images in Christianity. We like Jesus the Good Shepherd. He is gentle and peaceful, powerful and comforting. We see the Good Shepherd and we quote the Psalms: The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. We see Jesus the Good Shepherd and we remember the search for the lost sheep. We see Jesus the Good Shepherd and we remember the words, “I know my sheep and my sheep know me.” We really like the image of Jesus the Good Shepherd.


 And maybe that is why every year on the fourth Sunday of Easter, we hear about Jesus the Good Shepherd. It’s called Good Shepherd Sunday. It’s the World Day of Prayer for Priestly Vocations. It’s the day when the Pope ordains new priests for the Diocese of Rome. In seminaries around the world on this Sunday, the men who are training to become priests will be encouraged, “Be a good shepherd; be like Jesus the Good Shepherd when you are sent to the flock.” It’s a good word of advice. It’s a good word of encouragement. Be like the Good Shepherd. We like the Good Shepherd.


The Good Shepherd, for his part, loves us. And we like that too. The Good Shepherd loves us. John the Apostle tells us that. We are loved and we are called the children of God. The love of God will make us more like Jesus. Jesus will reveal his life and his love in our lives. We like this. We like that we are loved by Jesus. We like that we are loved by the Good Shepherd.


The Good Shepherd lays down his life for his sheep. The Good Shepherd knows his sheep and his sheep know him. The Good Shepherd speaks to his sheep and they follow him. The Good Shepherd gives himself completely to the care of his flock. He protects them. He cares for them. He heals them. He leads them to fresh waters and green pastures. We love the image of the Good Shepherd surrounded by the sheep of his flock.


In the picture that hangs in my parents’ house, there are many sheep. They are in the background. You can see them. They are there in the green pasture. They are there next to the flowing waters. But one sheep is next to Jesus. He is comfortable there. The one sheep stands on all four legs, but almost leans on Jesus. There is one sheep that stays close to the shepherd. There is one sheep in the picture that Jesus could pick up at any moment and carry gently on his shoulders. There is one sheep that seems to have the total attention and love of the shepherd.


Each of us is that one sheep. 

Each of us is that one sheep.


Saint Paul knew this. He wrote to the Galatians about it. The Son of God loved me . . . and he gave himself up for me.


Jesus walks with each of us as if we were the only sheep in the flock. And so we can say: The Good Shepherd loves me. The Good Shepherd gave himself up for me. The Good Shepherd speaks to me and walks with me. And here, in the midst of the flock, the Good Shepherd will feed me and lead me to that kingdom where he lives with the Father and Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.