Saturday, March 23, 2013

Lenten Liturgy Lesson 4


Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

Just before the distribution of Holy Communion in the celebration of the Mass, the priest, elevating the Sacred Host and Chalice, announces in the words of John the Baptist: Behold the Lamb of God, behold him who takes away the sins of the world.  Blessed are those called to the supper of the Lamb.  The response that you make, actually the response that we make, because this is one of the few times that you and I respond together, is simple.  Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.  These are the very words of the centurion in the gospel.  The centurion had come to Jesus asking that a servant be healed.  He was a just man, but not a member of the chosen people.  Yet he comes to the Lord Jesus and recognizes his power to heal.  The centurion comes with humility before the Lord.  He approaches the Lord Jesus with faith in his love and mercy and reverence for the divine and holy presence that the Lord Jesus is.  The Lord Jesus responds to the request of the centurion by offering to go to the servant.  The centurion responds: Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof but only say the word and my servant shall be healed.  In response to this statement, the Lord Jesus said he had not seen such great faith in all of Israel.  As we prepare to receive the gift of the Lord in Holy Communion, let us imitate the faith, humility and reverence of the centurion as we make his words our own and say: Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

Presented at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, Monroe, NC