Sunday, December 28, 2014

Homily for December 28, 2014 (Feast of the Holy Family)

May Jesus Christ be praised and may his holy Mother pray for us.

“Father, will you see your family on Christmas?”

“Yes I will.  I am celebrating three Masses on Christmas Eve and three Masses on Christmas Day.”

“No, Father.  I am asking if you will see your family on Christmas.”

“Yes I will.  I am celebrating three Masses on Christmas Eve and three Masses on Christmas Day.”

“Father, you do not seem to understand my question.  I am asking if you will see your family on Christmas.”

“My dear child, you do not seem to understand my answer.  Of course I will see my family on Christmas.  I will spend most of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with the family that God has entrusted to my care.  I will see my family on Christmas.”

My dear brothers and sisters, I imagine that I thoroughly confused the seven year old with whom I had that conversation.  But you are not confused.  We know that in the mercy of God and by our baptism into Christ Jesus we have become part of the Holy Family.  We know that when the Church gathers for the celebration of the Eucharist that we are at the table of the Holy Family.  The Eucharist is always the celebration of the Holy Family, whether we gather in celebration, in sorrow, with joy or with gratitude.  This is the celebration of the Holy Family.  This is the place where we know the protection of St. Joseph and the love of the Virgin Mary.  This is the place where we hear Simeon and Anna sing the praises of God because God has kept his promise.  This is the place where the angels greet the shepherds and shepherds meet the Son of God.  This is the place and this is the time when the Holy Family gathers.  This is our home and this is our family.  Thanks be to God.  Amen.


Preached at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, Monroe, NC