Thursday, January 1, 2015

Homily for January 1, 2015 (Solemnity of the Mother of God)

May Jesus Christ be praised and may his holy Mother pray for us.

I am the first child of my parents.  My sister is two and a half years younger.  That means that I was a two year old when my sister came to live in the house, and I was jealous.  I was not jealous of her room.  I was jealous because there was one privilege that had been mine alone, and now I would have to share it with her.  I would have to share with my sister the privilege of calling my mother, “Mom.”  I was jealous because someone else could call my mother, “Mom.”

But the Lord Jesus is not jealous.  He invites us to call upon his mother.  The Lord Jesus invites us to call upon the Blessed Virgin Mary as our dear and loving mother.  He shares her with us.  The Lord Jesus shares with us his own relationship with the Father.  He shares with us his own relationship with his mother.  Mary is our mother.  She loves us.  She nurtures us.  Mary brings us close to her Son.  Mary stands with us at our own Calvary.  Mary is close to us in our joys.  She is close to us in our sorrows.  Mary is our loving Mother.  She is a gift that the Lord Jesus gives to us.  The Lord Jesus is not jealous.  The Lord Jesus shares his mother with us.

With confidence, let us call upon her.  Amen.           


Preached at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, Monroe, NC