Monday, November 2, 2015

Homily for November 1, 2015 (All Saints Day)





On Wednesday of this past week, Bishop Jugis was here to celebrate the Sacrament of Confirmation. Seventy-four of our young people, after years of preparation, received the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit. And as the seventy-four processed up the main aisle to receive the anointing from the Bishop, I could hear the names of the patron saints that they had chosen as the Bishop addressed them by name: Guadalupe, Juan Diego, Cecilia and Lucy, Francis and Dymphna, and there was even a Benjamin. There was a living litany of the saints in procession down the aisle of the Church.


Sixteen years ago last Friday I took the name Patrick on the day of my confirmation. It was also the day of my first confession and first Communion. After a long period of preparation in RCIA and a longer period of wrestling with the mystery of the call of the Lord God, I made the profession of Catholic Faith. I chose Patrick to be my patron saint for confirmation.

I chose Patrick because I had looked back through the history of the Church. I had looked back to the example of the Holy Ones of every time and place who had lived through the time of trial. I had looked back to see those witnesses to the resurrection of Jesus Christ who have now received the abundant rewards of heaven. I chose Patrick because I saw in this missionary a bold preacher, a poet, and shepherd of the flock of God. Patrick inspires me and his life encourages me.  


God gives us his saints to inspire us, and to encourage us. But sometimes, these saints given to us to inspire and encourage us seem a little far away. So many of their stories and so many of their lives, are just so very different from our lives. Some of these saints sound like they were practically perfect in every way even from childhood. They were always obedient. They were always humble. They were always prayerful. They were always faithful. These saints were always, and I, and perhaps you, are sometimes. Sometimes we are obedient and sometimes humble. Sometimes we’re not. Sometimes we are merciful and hungering for righteousness, and sometimes we’re not. Sometimes we feel so far away from the saints.


But maybe, they are closer to us than we think. Maybe the heavenly Jerusalem is just the next town over. We hear the final version of the stories of the saints. We hear the stories not of their faults, their sins, and their mistakes. We hear the story of the triumph of God’s grace. We hear the stories of those who were named by Christ and claimed by his mercy. The saints are closer to us than we think because they stood where we stand. They experienced struggle and persecution, doubt and anxiety. They experienced temptation and exhaustion. The saints lived their lives of faith and virtue here on earth, but as pilgrims advancing by faith toward their home in the city of the Living God.


I asked many of those seventy-four confirmation candidates about the saints that they chose. Many of them had looked back through the holy history. They looked back and saw examples of people of faith that inspired them and encouraged them. But more than a few of the confirmation candidates told me that they chose their saint because they had seen them in the windows of the Church. They had looked at the twenty-four saints in the windows that surround this room, just like the twenty-four elders who surround the throne of God, and these students saw images of people of faith who inspire them and encourage them. They looked around and saw the saints of God.


And I do too. I look around and I see the saints of God. I look around and I see the mother who stays up late into the night caring for a sick child even as she prepares for work the next day. I see the father who prays for the wisdom of Solomon and the justice and humility of Joseph. I look around and I see single persons living as salt and light in the midst of a broken world bringing the joy of the Gospel with every footstep. I see young people and students who want to be peacemakers in their schools as we hope they will one day be peacemakers in the rest of world. I look around and I see those witnesses of the faith who have lived unto many years in joy and in sorrow and in suffering. I see those who mourn and those who live in the hope of eternal life. I look around and I remember those children who received the life of Christ in baptism who entered into eternal life in Christ too soon after. I look around and I see the saints of God on their pilgrimage to our true homeland.


In only a few moments the procession of the living litany of the saints will form again in the aisles of the Church. Christ our High Priest, the Lamb once slain who lives forever, calls us to himself to feed us, to inspire us, and to encourage us. And then he sends us out, to look around. Amen.


Preached at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, Monroe, NC