Thursday, November 22, 2012

Homily for Thanksgiving Day (November 22,2012)


May Jesus Christ be praised and may his holy Mother pray for us.

When I was a child my family spent Thanksgiving Day with my maternal grandparents.  I think it was the year before my grandfather passed away when we had two additional guests for Thanksgiving dinner: a couple from Italy that my grandfather knew from his business.  As we sat down to dinner, my grandfather either asked or informed me that I was to explain the reason for this particular holiday and recount the blessings for which we were thankful.  So after obediently recalling our history and numbering the blessings of the year, I looked to my grandfather so that the meal could begin.  And then he said to me, “Now you say the prayer.”  And the twelve year old future priest of God Most High responded, “I really don’t like to pray in front of other people.”  My grandfather, not to be outdone, responded, “I will give you 50 cents if you say the prayer.”  I have always thought of that as my first Mass stipend.

Today we gather and we recount our sacred history.  We remember the blessings that God has bestowed upon his people.  We recall the blessing of the Chosen People and their deliverance from the bondage of Pharaoh.  We remember the pilgrims who fled Europe seeking to worship according to the dictates of their conscience.  We recall the blessings that God in his goodness has bestowed upon each of us.  But chiefly, dear brothers and sisters, we remember that the Eternal Son of the Eternal Father made the pilgrimage from heaven and has dwelt among us.  The Lord Jesus, the incarnate Son of God, invites us to join in his Great Thanksgiving to the Father.

We have recalled our history.  We have recounted our blessings.  And now, dear brothers and sisters, we offer the prayer.

Happy Thanksgiving.  Amen.

Preached at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, Monroe, NC